Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Word of the day: 'Gibbous'

"adj. More than half but less than fully illuminated."

Today's word was selected not for how it sounds or is spelled, but because I deem it useful in everyday conversation and writing. Before this word became part of my vocabulary about 30 seconds ago, the closest I could get to what it means was "partially-lit," which just doesn't cut it. In case you're wondering how it's said, the "g" is hard, as in "globe" or "gimme a break," which is what you're probably thinking right about now. You don't have to thank me for trying to expand your verbal horizons. It's what I do.

Blogger's note: Books, and especially dictionaries, are full of good words. Feel free to leave a comment sharing one of your favorites, and keep watching for more of mine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tom - I like your blog! You should go back to school - writing is obviously one of your gifts. I'm excited for you guys about your trip to China. Take some hand sanitizer :-) and enjoy being a crazy foreigner!

Custom Web Applications