Thursday, June 21, 2007

Countdown: 35 days

China is getting closer. Not really. The continents are staying where they are; what's getting closer is the date of our departure.

We are now in the tedious, stressful period of our pre-trip planning when we have to get all our paperwork in order. Today I filled out my second visa application, because the first was rejected, and in five days I will have to drive to the Chinese consulate in Los Angeles to pick it up. I have not traveled out of the country enough to overcome my wary fear of foreign governments. That of the U.S. and a few in Europe are perhaps the only ones I trust and under whose authority I would not be nervous to travel. I know we'll be fine, just as we were on our honeymoon to Mexico, but I can't just tell my anxiety to take a hike.

Looking back on our fund-raising effort, I realize that our friends and family were extremely generous to us, and that through them God has provided all the money we needed to pay our way for the two-week trip. We should be studying Chinese more often, should be practicing skits and hanging out with little kids as much as possible to prepare for two weeks of it, but what we need more than anything is for God to soften our hearts. Me especially, as Dori's is already tender toward children. I love kids, but I will need a celestial helping of patience and energy to do any good this summer in Beijing.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Are you guys going down there with the Bolt's? I will keep praying for you both. I'm sure that it will be an amazing trip and that God will do so much in both of you and through you! Blessings!

Custom Web Applications