Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A good reason for thumbs to be sore

When I was younger, I used to play Super Mario Bros. so passionately and for so long that my thumbs would be sore afterward. That stupid little directional pad would dig in and make things miserable. My thumbs are sore again this morning, but not because of any video game controller.

Anyone who's tried to force-feed eight rounds into a brand new magazine at the shooting range knows my agony. It feels like I should have a few blisters, but there are none yet. Just red-hot pain. It was worth it, though. As far as hobbies go, shooting is on the expensive side, but it beats Nintendo, even the cheesy duck hunt on the original console. I must admit, though, when I went with my in-laws to visit their extended family in Arizona for Thanksgiving last year, the aunts we stayed with had an original Nintendo and Dustin, Dave and I spent hours playing Duck Hunt. (Side note of interest: According to Wikipedia's page dedicated to Duck Hunt, the gun was named the "Zapper.") So last night, it was kind of like that, only more expensive and painful. I still give it two thumbs up. Ouch.

No comments:

Custom Web Applications