Friday, July 6, 2007

Moving day

Last night I had the distinct displeasure of packing my desk in the Fallbrook North County Times office to transplant it into the Escondido office (a.k.a. the Mother Ship, the Big House, Central Command). I threw a bunch of stuff away that, at some point, I was sure I would need. Two and a half years is a long time to accumulate dusty post-its and meeting agendas. My favorite were all the business cards for people I could not even remember. Most of what was there is now in boxes and will be moved today.

The significant change afoot here is that I will no longer be based in Fallbrook. The powers that be have decided that all reporters shall be grouped into the Escondido and Oceanside offices. So maybe two days out of every week I will be able to work in Fallbrook, but I'll be doing the rest of my time in the Big House.

It's really not that bad, except for the drive. I spent yesterday in Escondido, and it was a little odd sitting two desks away from a handful of people who could fire me, seeing the publisher walk through the newsroom, things like that. But I suppose it will add new challenges to my job. I have a feeling it will make a better reporter of me, so I cannot complain. OK, maybe a little bit. As I'm driving half an hour each way to and from work.

No comments:

Custom Web Applications