Thursday, August 21, 2008

The pinnacle of this summer

Part 2 of "Chengdu" is gonna have to wait, because last night... was... awesome! We took the five orphans with us for week six of camp here in Beijing to the Olympics, thanks to a former Olympian named Gary Morgan who's stayed involved with the U.S. side of things since he competed in '88. Gary helped us get 10 tickets to tonight's track and field competition--which included several huge final events such as the men's 100 meter hurdles, in which the U.S. took gold, silver and bronze. We also saw women's javelin, men's triple jump, and women's 400 meter. It all took place inside the Bird's Nest stadium, and it was every bit of the Olympic experience we'd been hoping for.

But the really cool stuff happened before we even set foot in the stadium. Gary rallied four 2008 U.S. Olympians, including three of the eight-man rowing team that won the bronze last week. Two of the guys brought their medals, and let me tell you, seeing Olympic medals hanging around the necks of orphans was out of this world. After everything I've seen and done this summer, that moment stood out as the highlight. That's the only way I can describe it. Here are a few photos from today.

I don't need to describe this one...

And here is a view of the aquatic center when everyone was leaving. It's opposite the stadium, and the two made an amazing spectacle all lit up at night.

Here's a good view of two of the largest things in Beijing: Bird's Nest Stadium and my beard, which hasn't been trimmed in more than a month and bears striking resemblance to a bird's nest...

I'll have more to write later as I continue to process what happened last night. This morning, we're leaving to watch some more Olympics with the little guys, then I'm coming home tomorrow. It's been an epic trip. Thanks for all your Thoughts and support.

There are no words to describe the last photo. I hope the sight hits you like it did me.

3 comments:

Peg Pfingsten said...

Wow! What an ending to an epic month and a half of lifting the spirits--and horizons--of a group of G-d-chosen orphans! I pr-- that their futures will be affected eternally by the experiences that they've shared with you and the others at Bring Me Hope. May our Father continue to bless David's heart as he seeks big ways of serving Him. And may He give you words to communicate to many others what He is accomplishing in China through your combined efforts.
Love and pr--yers,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Great pics, babe. Thank you so much for being so good at sharing your experiences with us here at home. It helps you seem a little bit closer... :) And yes, your beard probably is the next biggest thing in China! ;) I love you and I can't wait to see you! <3

Annie said...

Incredible...I'm left speechless! The orphans with the medal left tears in my eyes. Looking forward to seeing you. P--ying for safe travels for you guys. See you soon! :)

Custom Web Applications