Friday, July 18, 2008

Week one kids are gone

This update won't have pictures because I haven't had the time to process them since we got back from the orphanage this afternoon. We had the privilege of driving the orphans back to their home, since this group lives about an hour away from where we're having camp. What a great experience. We walked them each to their respective houses in the compound, where each house's "mother" met us with a smile, set out stools for us and dished out water and snacks. They were very sweet, and made us feel a little bit better about having to leave these precious kids. One of our girls, the younger one who has, perhaps, experienced more abuse, went with a separate group of orphans to a facility about three hours away. All in that cohort of kids were thin, and several always ate as if it was their last meal, so I'm not sure if I have confidence about her living conditions.

Mom, the orphanage we visited today is where Peam lives, and we had our picture taken with her on the front steps of the main building. I'll send it to you separately.

A little more on our travel plans: None of our flights will need to be changed. Dori is still flying to Manila next week, and I'll be seeing her off and picking her up in Beijing on either end of that side trip. As for me, it looks like I may be traveling to the earthquake zone by train during the week she's gone, then hooking up with the rest of Bring Me Hope for the remaining three weeks of my trip.

Our health has still held out, aside from a few headaches and upset stomachs. So much about this trip is different from last year, however, and it's been fantastic experiencing a completely new side of China. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a white person who was not attached to Bring Me Hope the entire time we've been in Nanchang.

Thank you all for your Thoughts. We are having a wonderful time, and I can't wait to get home and tell you all--over a cup of genuine, strong coffee--what our Father has done and will do with the rest of our stay in the People's Republic.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Wow, two posts in two days...I'm impressed! :)

Peg Pfingsten said...

I'm confident that you gave Peam a motherly hug for me, although Dori would have needed to bestow that one. I'm so pleased to hear that your hearts are once again being touched by your little buddies. May our Father be close by your sides each day as you seek to serve Him.

Custom Web Applications