Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Beijing to Manila: night and day

After a semi-harrowing day of travel arrangements that began Sunday morning in Nanchang and ended last night in Manila (we had to buy my airfare to Manila in the Beijing airport on Monday morning, then I was on a different flight than Dori, then I had a strange layover in the southern China city of Xiamen just to go through an immigration checkpoint), we are now with Justin and Erin McDonald in The Philippines. What an amazing, enchanting place. Justin and I spent the morning exploring the part of Manila right around their condo, which is located on the eighth floor of a 22-story building. My love of cities was rekindled in this lively place filled with warm, friendly people. I can also see over almost everyone's head when we're in the train.

Needless to say, I've already taken hundreds of pictures here in Manila. Tonight, we'll ride the bus 12 hours south and ride a ferry to the island of Bicol, where Justin and Erin will eventually be living as missionaries. We will return on Friday, then head to a Chris Tomlin/Louie Giglio concert. After spending Saturday and Sunday checking out the city and hanging out with our long-lost Fallbrook comrades, we will fly back to China on Monday to continue our work with Bring Me Hope. Thanks for staying with us as we jet around Southeast Asia...

Here are some of the photos from last night and this morning.

Last night, after our arrival at the Manila airport, Justin and Erin picked us up and took us back to their condo. After dropping our stuff off, we headed around the corner for an amazing dinner of chicken inasal, which is basically barbecued chicken that's spread over garlic rice. It was surprisingly good.

And, of course, the hand-made sauce was key to our meal.

This is the view from the top of Justin and Erin's building.

And here is the view looking up from the street.

The train is super cheap to ride, and we rode it twice this morning on our way to a nearby mall and to get haircuts, which was also a great experience. Justin and I walked into a barbershop full of Filipinos with about a quarter-inch of hair apiece and asked for haircuts. It's the first time I've ever had my hair buzzed down to my scalp, but I still have my beard. After the buzz, my barber put no less than three different products on my head, wiped it down with a hot towel and rubbed my shoulders. The whole thing cost about $2.

There are regular taxis here, and then there are the "Jeepnies." I can't really explain them, so have a look for yourself:

Please continue to pray for us as we spend the next three days at Bicol. Traveling mercies and health, as usual, are still at the top of our list. But we also praise God that we have already had some sweet fellowship with Justin and Erin in the 18 hours we've been here. Until next time.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Sounds like you've had some fun. I can't picture you bald...so you'll have to post a picture of yourself. And, be careful not to get a sunburn on your head. ;) I would love it if you posted a picture of the four of you. Praying for you. Thanks for all the pictures, it's beautiful there. Tell Justin and Erin I want to visit. Jonny loved the taxi picture and I want to know how to make garlic rice. That meal looked and sounded good!

Looking forward to your next post,
Annie

Unknown said...

It brings a smile to my face to see you two creating such rich and sweet memories together. Thinking of you often. Say "hi" to E & J. We'll do tortilla soup the next time they're here. Love Ya. Dad

Custom Web Applications